Author Topic: A Ligher Weight Stove  (Read 1568 times)

Steve

A Ligher Weight Stove
« on: November 29, 2014, 10:08:35 AM »
I've got a heavier stove for my wall tent that works great.  I was looking for a lighter stove that might work better for moving camp often.  I bought a Kni-co, Sheepherder, (Alaskan) stove and I have to say I love it.  The price is right, and it is far lighter than my other stove.  I was worried that it might not throw out enough heat, but it really works great.  My tent is about 10x12 with four foot walls.  The damper works great and we even cooked on it.  I picked this one up at Cabella's. 

There's nothing better than a warm wall tent after a cold day of elk hunting.  One evening, last week,  I was sitting on my cot with my legs next to this stove.  I'd seen 49 head of elk, earlier in the day.  There was a blizzard raging outside.  While sipping on a cold brewski, I thought of the days hunt.  (It's important to stay hydrated.....Right?)  At that moment, everything was right with the world.  It was kind of like being in a dry Sauna.  The older I get the more I like heat.  At any rate I love this stove......

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/-hunting-guide-gear-reviews/28/ligher-weight-stove/2690/

Kelly Barger

• Ok Harlan Horses
Re: A Ligher Weight Stove
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 06:34:38 PM »
I've wondered about the lighter weight stoves Steve. The only ones I've seen with my own eyes were the collapsable kind. I don't see how they can be very controllable as far as air control goes. I've never seen any other kind. The four dog brand I have is a great stove but it is heavy like you said. I'll check out the kind you bought, it never hurts to have options I guess.

LAP

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 01:41:51 PM »
Kni-co's work well.  Their break down Tundra stove is pretty tight but it is a heavier break down stove.  Riley stoves are another good one and they have a lot of sizes to choose from.  The light weight collapsibles do ok but they aren't as tight so don't hold fire as long but I am usually up once or twice a night anyway and just stuff more wood in while I am up

2rocky

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 12:23:04 AM »
I have the knico packer.  Were I to do it again, I would get the Alaskan. 

If I had more money than sense I'd buy a titanium four dog. 

Something very satisfying about sitting in a warm tent while the wind howls and sleet peppers the tent.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Spike Camp Weight Distribution?

Started by 2rocky

2 Replies
Last post September 25, 2014, 07:57:54 AM
by LAP
xx
Reducing weight on side poles for Cabelas Alaknak II

Started by 2rocky

1 Replies