Author Topic: Cheatgrass or foxtail  (Read 8976 times)

royaltine

• Administrator
Cheatgrass or foxtail
« on: December 05, 2011, 07:41:36 PM »
I have a dog that had an abscess on the side of his rib cage. My local vet lanced it a month ago and it was looking good. The lance finally healed over a few days ago and then the abscess started up again 5 days ago and burst the scar where the first one had healed. Went to another vet today and he said there is most likely plant fiber like cheat grass or foxtail in the chest cavity behind a rib and suggested surgery for about 800 bucks but says he only has about a 50% chance of finding it. He suggested another vet in Spokane, Wa that would do the surgery for about 1200-1500 with about an 80% chance of finding it. Is this along the lines of what you would think?

Common sense would tell me, it would eventually work it self out or get absorbed by the body, but that is not the vibe I'm getting from the vets.

Any with any experience with this?

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/bird-hunters-forum/32/cheatgrass-foxtail/2050/

If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough!

philip

Re: Cheatgrass or foxtail
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 03:24:21 AM »
No experience with dogs but any abscess needs to be open long enough for it to completely drain the infection or sorce to heal.  I would try to open the area again if it isnt, and if it isnt too much discomfort to the dog, irrigate the cavity four times a day with saline or salt water solution you can get from your ag store or even an antibiotic solution if the drainage is purlent ( like pus).  If the vet was agreeable, he (or you) could sew a small drain into the opening to keep it open until drainage stops.  Hope it helps and I am way cheaper.

philip

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 04:21:36 AM »
Since retiring my brain is somewhat slower in action.  There is a small catheter-like device that I used to put into a Bartholin gland cyst  which was quie effective in keeping the incision open until the cyst healed.  It allowed a new opening to develop by staying inplace long enough to form the new opening.  After putting it in the abscess, a small amount of water was injected into a bulb that  was like a small balloon to enlarge, thus keeping it in place without stitches.  You might ask, or have LeRee ask someone at the clinic if they could get one for you.  Gynecology offices would have them and maybe your clinic docs would as well.  A little explanation by them and you could easily do it.  I no longer have easy access to them but could talk you thru it if you need or want to call me.  Cell 4178449343.

philip

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 04:23:17 AM »
That slowness again, its called a Ward cather.

Badger

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 07:23:59 AM »
I have found with animals that allowing the abscess to fester a bit longer will allow you to find the particle easier if and only if you can handle the animal safely.  Allow the abscess to fester for a bit, get a good sharp scalpel and excise the infection, 90% of the time the particle will have been surrounded by the pocket of infection...Once you do that keep the wound open and irrigated for at least 2 weeks....Irrigate with a antibiotic based fluid, several times a day if you can...

KILLERBEE

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 06:12:18 PM »
geeze,sounds like it's been a tough run with the dogs the last few weeks--

hope you can find it and get the dog back on the trail! keep us posted on how it goes.
OLD HUNTERS NEVER DIE- THEY JUST HAVE BETTER CAMO.....

royaltine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »
What I think we are going to do, after talking to a number of different guys and a couple vets, is long term antibiotics. 30 day cycles. It should wall the cheatgrass in scar tissue over time and sterilize it, if it doesn't work itself out. We can still hunt him on this treatment method.
We don't think the cheatgrass is going towards a vital organ at this time. That would be a different scenario. The surgery is expensive, probably have to remove a rib, not a high success rate plus a long recovery time and very painful.

LeRee'

Deadeye and Doeswell

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 01:37:10 PM »
What I think we are going to do, after talking to a number of different guys and a couple vets, is long term antibiotics. 30 day cycles. It should wall the cheatgrass in scar tissue over time and sterilize it, if it doesn't work itself out. We can still hunt him on this treatment method.
We don't think the cheatgrass is going towards a vital organ at this time. That would be a different scenario. The surgery is expensive, probably have to remove a rib, not a high success rate plus a long recovery time and very painful.

LeRee'

That is what I was thinking, it should work it's way out or encapsulate and not be a problem afterward.

Share via facebook Share via twitter