Author Topic: Bear recipes?  (Read 1895 times)

Steve

Bear recipes?
« on: April 07, 2014, 11:50:45 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for bear meat?  All these years I assumed bear meat was awful.  I've talked to people since who swear it is good.

The first bear I killed was in the Spring.  I was still in High School.  My Dad said to give the meat away because he wasn't going to cook it.  I gave it to a lady who made it into Salami.  It tasted like bear fat, and I couldn't eat too much of it. 

The second bear I killed I made into jerky.  I have to say it wasn't too bad. 

I could have killed more bear, but figured the meat wasn't good.  So, I'm just wondering is bear meat worth cooking....I'd like to hunt them again.....If I can find a good recipe.

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/cook-book/45/bear-recipes/2578/

Rt520

Re: Bear recipes?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 02:05:29 PM »
As my grandpa used to say, "I used to hunt bare but I got too cold." I like it in hot sticks and summer sausage. If I get one this spring I might try some burger. I've had it in stew and thought it was pretty good.
Riley Tuyls

Steve

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 06:18:28 AM »
I think I just need to try eating more of it.  I guess it's important to trim all the fat off of it.  It improves the flavor a lot from what I understand.  I guess you can process the fat for different things, like boot grease.

mtncook

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 06:22:53 AM »
We killed a camp robbing bear 1 year in Idaho. The cook made a makeshift smoker and used alder I wood.  He smoked some nice roasts then roasted in the oven I must say it was good.  I drew a WA. Spring bear tag for 2014, planning on going 4/20 -4/24 as the first outing.  A good time to glass for sheds too.

mtncook

royaltine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 08:04:40 PM »
LeRee did a bear roast in a Dutch.  Slow cooked with barbecue sauce and it was fantastic........and Im not a huge fan of bear meat.
If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough!

Thelma

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 01:26:23 PM »
First off Steve let me just say good job  getting a bear! If I were to partake in such an activity I would insist upon bringing along a crack team of Navy Seal Snipers for back up protection or to organize an emergency helicopter extraction when I became paralyzed with fear.

Anyhow I was looking through my books and found two recipes you might want to try.

OVEN-BARBECUED BEAR
- 3 lbs. bear steaks, cut in 2-inch cubes
-1 slice salt pork, cut up
1 C ketchup
-1/3 C steak sauce
-2 tbsp. Tarragon vinegar
-1 onion, diced
-1 tbsp lemon juice
-1/2 tsp. salt
-1 tbsp. chilli powder

1. Trim all fat from bear steaks and cut in 2-inch cubes
2. Sear meat on all sides with salt pork in a heavy fry pan.
3. Place meat in a casserole.
4.. Add rest of ingredients to fry pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
5. Pour sauce over meat in casserole.
6. Cover and bake for at least 2 hours in a 325F oven, stirring     occasionally until meat is tender.

TASTY THYME BEAR CHOPS

-4 (10 ounces each) well-trimmed bear chops
-3 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
-1 bay leaf, crumbled
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp. ground pepper

1. Arrange chops in single layer on waxed paper or foil
2. Combine all remaining ingredients and rub evenly on both sides of the meat. Leave at room temperature 1 hour.
3. Grill meat on rack 4 inches from heat source, turning frequently, 30 minutes or until meat is no longer pink on the inside.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Recipes that use eggs

Started by animules

8 Replies
Last post February 03, 2007, 09:12:08 PM
by animules
xx
looking for recipes that can be frozen

Started by animules

7 Replies