Author Topic: Easy Dutch Oven Bread....  (Read 2119 times)

Steve

Easy Dutch Oven Bread....
« on: January 14, 2014, 10:01:40 AM »
Does anyone know of an easy Dutch Oven bread recipe?  There's nothing better than homemade bread.  I've tried some easy recipes and the bread just didn't taste like what Grandma used to make.  Maybe there is no easy recipes for this.  Quality bread may take some extra work.  I need some advice.....

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/cook-book/45/easy-dutch-oven-bread/2533/

MTTrapper

• Shooting Star Publications
Re: Easy Dutch Oven Bread....
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 06:25:34 AM »
Sourdough Bread

INGREDIENTS:
About 7 cups flour
2-1/4 teaspoons (or 1 package) active dry yeast
2 cups tepid water
1 cup sourdough starter
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar

DIRECTIONS:
To make the bread, combine 2 cups of tepid water with 1 cup of starter, the yeast and 4 cups of flour. Place this sponge in a bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a clean dish towel, and allow it to stand in a warm place for six to eight hours or overnight. The sponge will be very thick and full of bubbles.

Work the salt, sugar and about 2 cups of flour into the sponge. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead it until it is smooth and elastic—10 to 15 minutes. Add flour as needed to prevent the dough from sticking. Place the dough in a greased bowl and turn the dough over once to grease the top and sides. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise in a warm place until it has doubled in bulk—one and one half to two hours.

Turn onto a floured board. Knead for approximately 7-8 minutes. Shape and place into 12" deep Dutch oven. Let rise until doubled.

Using 30 briquettes —11 under 15 on top. Bake 15 minutes. Then add 4 more briquettes and bake for additional 20-25 minutes.

mulepackin

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 07:20:28 AM »
Where do you keep your sponge overnight in camp? Do you keep a low fire going all night in your tent and keep it there or have another means of keeping it warm?

MULEPACKHUNTER

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:59:31 AM »
hEY TRAPPER, GREAT INFO THANKS FOR SHARING, DO YOU CARRY YOUR STARTER IN ON PACK STRING OR MAKE IT ONCE IN CAMP? i HAVE ONE GOING RIGHT NOW THAT IS 4 MONTHS OLD, IT IS REALLY SOUR AND I LOVE IT. I DONT USE IT PACKING JUST AT HOME
R.F.P.  RELENTLESS FORWARD PROGRESS

MTTrapper

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »
Where do you keep your sponge overnight in camp? Do you keep a low fire going all night in your tent and keep it there or have another means of keeping it warm?

In the summer time I just cover it with cellophane and then put it in these rodent proof boxes. In the fall when it's cold, I'm usually up pretty early (like 0200). I'll make the sponge then, and then not turn the sponge into dough until around noon. It won't hurt it to be cool, but you'd have to protect it from freezing. If you can't store it overnight, a few hours for a mature starter will work, it just won't have the tang of sitting overnight.

Trapper

MTTrapper

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
hEY TRAPPER, GREAT INFO THANKS FOR SHARING, DO YOU CARRY YOUR STARTER IN ON PACK STRING OR MAKE IT ONCE IN CAMP? i HAVE ONE GOING RIGHT NOW THAT IS 4 MONTHS OLD, IT IS REALLY SOUR AND I LOVE IT. I DONT USE IT PACKING JUST AT HOME

I transport the starter in 32 oz Nalgene bottles. I normally put them in my saddle bags or the cooler, but not a cooler with everything frozen. I time it so that the feeding cycle is at the end, so it doesn't blow the lid off the bottle or crack it. I feed it once I'm in camp. For summer roving trips I might bring enough for the first night or two and then make some other bread.

Trapper

Share via facebook Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Dutch oven bread pudding

Started by SeabeeCook

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 07:50:59 AM
by Karl
xx
Artisan bread in a Dutch Oven

Started by MTTrapper