Author Topic: Hungarian Goulash and Dumplings for 2  (Read 119 times)

Karl

Hungarian Goulash and Dumplings for 2
« on: September 27, 2017, 11:04:20 AM »
My wife and I recently were camping at Land Between the Lakes in TN/KY.  One of our evening meals was this goulash recipe I modified from a couple recipes and turned into 1.  It came out really good.   Thought I would share it wit y'all.

Hungarian Beef Goulash with Sour Cream and Chive Dumplings

Goulash:
1 Tbs. Olive Oil
12 Oz. Sirloin Steak Cut into 1-inch cubes
½ Tsp. Salt
½ Tsp. Black Pepper
2 Slices Bacon chopped
½ Cup Onion Chopped
¾ Cup Red Bell Pepper
1 Tbs. Tomato Paste
1 Clove Garlic Finely chopped
2 Tbs. Sweet Paprika
1 ½ Cup Beef Broth
1 Large Russet Potato Cubed
1 Carrot Cubed
⅛  Tsp. Caraway Seed
⅛  Tsp. Marjoram

Dumplings:
⅔ Cup Original Bisquick™
⅓  Cup Sour Cream
2 Tbs. Milk
1 Tbs. Chives Chopped
¼ Cup Sour Cream

In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season steak with salt and pepper; add to skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, turning cubes, until lightly brown on all sides. Transfer to plate; reduce heat to medium.
Add bacon to skillet; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes, until just beginning to brown. Add onion, bell pepper, tomato paste and garlic; cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften. Add paprika; cook about 1 minute or until fragrant. Add broth; reduce heat to medium. Add browned beef  and carrots to goulash. Simmer for an hour.  Add potatoes and simmer 1 additional hour..
Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir Bisquick™ mix, 1/3 cup sour cream, the milk and chives.
Drop dumpling dough in 6 generous tablespoonfuls on top. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover. Cook 8 to 10 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through. Serve with 1/4 cup sour cream on the side.
Yield: 2 Servings.

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/cook-book/45/hungarian-goulash-dumplings-2/2836/

Karl

Re: Hungarian Goulash and Dumplings for 2
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »
https://youtu.be/iU8WpN9jO78

is the link to my youtube video of it if you were interested

Share via facebook Share via twitter