Author Topic: Layered cabbage and potatoes with bacon  (Read 862 times)

SeabeeCook

• 'Round the Chuckbox
Layered cabbage and potatoes with bacon
« on: August 25, 2014, 01:06:57 PM »
LAYERED CABBAGE AND POTATOES WITH BACON

Sufficient liquid should be released from the cabbage to keep the dish moist. If the cabbage and potatoes are dry during baking, add 2 to 4 tablespoons water or chicken stock to the dish. When served, you should see a light coating of delicious liquor on the bottom surface of the Dutch oven.

Feel free to substitute your favorite sliced sausage or diced ham for the bacon. Or, to add a second layer of bacon, boost it to 12 or 16 ounces and spread half over each layer of cabbage.

8 ounces bacon, diced
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
1-1/2 pounds green cabbage, shredded
3 pounds red or gold potatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a 12-inch Dutch oven over medium high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to plate or bowl. Pour off most of the rendered fat, leaving about 3 tablespoons.

Add onion and cabbage. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sauté, stirring frequently, until it’s just beginning to brown and the volume of cabbage is reduced by one-third. If necessary, add an additional tablespoon or two bacon fat to keep cabbage moist. Remove to separate plate or bowl.

Layer potatoes, cabbage mixture and bacon, lightly seasoning each layer with salt and pepper. Place 1/3 potatoes on bottom of Dutch oven. Spread 1/2 cabbage mixture over potatoes, then spread all of the bacon over the cabbage. Place another third of the potatoes over the cabbage and bacon layer. Layer of remaining cabbage over potatoes. Place remaining potatoes over the cabbage.

Place lid on Dutch oven. Add coals for 375 to 400 degrees, approximately 8 under the oven and 20 on the lid. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until the potatoes are tender and they are beginning to brown.

As an entrée, cabbage and potatoes serves 6 hearty eaters. Serves up to 12 as a side dish.

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/cook-book/45/layered-cabbage-potatoes-bacon/2650/

Karl

Re: Layered cabbage and potatoes with bacon
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 09:34:08 AM »
I realize this is an older post.   I've been away from the forum for a pretty good while.

Was just cruising through and seen this.  I make something similar, inside the house on the stove top, but haven't considered it outside in the Dutch.    Think I will give this one a try   :D

Thanks SeaBee!

Share via facebook Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Summer Cabbage Salad

Started by royaltine

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:36:38 AM
by SeabeeCook
xx
Bacon Mushroom Saute

Started by royaltine