Author Topic: Artisan bread in a Dutch Oven  (Read 154 times)

MTTrapper

• Shooting Star Publications
Artisan bread in a Dutch Oven
« on: March 23, 2017, 01:12:20 PM »
I only own one regular (no feet, round lid) Dutch Oven. I just got it from a neighbor who didn't want it because it was rusted. It's a 10" Lodge DO.

I cleaned it up and reseasoned it, and made a loaf of bread in it. I've been thinking I could get a nice hard crust on an artisan loaf by trapping the moisture from the bread inside the Dutchie.

This is what I did.

I first made the sponge.

Ingredients
1/4 tsp yeast
200 ml 115 water
1 C Stone ground wheat flour
1 C Bread Flour

Stir yeast into water until creamy. Stir in both cups of flour until firm.
Cover and store in a cool place for ~ 24 hours.

Dough Ingredients
1 tsp yeast
2 tsp brown sugar
1 1/2 C 115 water
4 Tbs olive oil
4 C bread flour
3 tsp kosher salt
(optional) Coarse Semolina for dusting

Stir the sugar into the water, then the yeast. Let stand until creamy. (I used a Kitchen Aid mixer with a dough hook) blend together the yeast mixture, sponge, water, oil, salt, and flour. Continue kneading for 8 minutes. The dough should be firm and clear the sides of the bowl. If not, slowly work in additional flour.

Line a medium (10") sized bowl with parchment paper leaving about 4" hanging over two sides. Put dough into bowl on top of parchment paper and cover. When the dough rises to the approximate height of the DO, score the top with a sharp knife and sprinkle the top with semolina.

Put the DO with lid in your oven and pre-heat to 450.

When heated, lift the dough out of the bowl with the parchment paper. Carefully lower the dough and parchment paper into the hot DO. Put lid on and bake for 25 min.

Remove the DO from the oven. Carefully lift the bread using the parchment paper and place the bread on the bare oven rack. Reduce heat to 400 for 20 minutes.

If you want browner bread just leave it in the DO longer. If you are unsure of your oven temps, or are unsure the bread is done at it's center, stick the done loaf with a thermometer or cake pin. It should come out free of uncooked dough when done.

Trapper

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/general-camp-cooks-forum/43/artisan-bread-dutch-oven/2814/

Kelly Barger

• Ok Harlan Horses
Re: Artisan bread in a Dutch Oven
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:07:55 AM »
Sounds great Trapper. I love bread of any kind when it's home made.

SeabeeCook

• 'Round the Chuckbox
Re: Artisan bread in a Dutch Oven
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 07:54:36 AM »
I've prepared prepared a no-knead dough at home prior to setting out for camp. Then in camp, build a fire (usually pine because that's what we have) and proof a piece of dough. The dough is baked in a 12" deep oven hanging over the fire with coals on top.

2014-09-15-artisan-bread6-in-12-inch-deep-camp-oven-IMG_1401
by Steven Karoly, on Flickr

2014-09-15-artisan-bread1-molding-IMG_1392
by Steven Karoly, on Flickr

Share via facebook Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Dutch oven bread pudding

Started by SeabeeCook

2 Replies
Last post June 22, 2012, 07:50:59 AM
by Karl