Author Topic: best recipe for elk  (Read 251 times)

LedJarvis

best recipe for elk
« on: May 29, 2017, 11:43:19 PM »
Hey good chefs in here, I and my daughter have been hunting deer over the years and we did share lots of experience and fun we had with others. But then we upgraded some of our hunting gears. i.e. we got new scopes and ring mounts; then decided to try hunting elks and I was just wondering if someone could help us with the best elk recipe? we'll really appreciate your suggested recipes.

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/general-camp-cooks-forum/43/best-recipe-elk/2825/

MTTrapper

• Shooting Star Publications
Re: best recipe for elk
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 07:25:36 AM »
I've cooked venison, elk, moose, caribou, wild sheep. I use the same recipes for all of them. A few things seem to be true for all. For all wild game, what it tastes like at the dinner table begins right after the critter does the dirt dive. Meat that goes sour can never be turned into a great meal regardless of the cook or recipe.

1. If you fry or grill the steaks, do not over cook them.  Wild game doesn't have as much fat as domestic meats. If you like your steak well done know that wild game will be very tough and very dry. Some would say if you like your steak well done, buy a cheap beef steak and give your backstraps to someone who likes it medium rare. (Smiley face here)

2. For roasts, slow and low is the best way to cook. I'll cook a big moose roast for 6-7 hours at 180 degrees.

3. A really great tool is an internal thermometer hooked to an external monitor. The one I use gives a constant digital reading and an alarm sounds when the temperature reaches what I set it at.

4. I also use cooking bags for roasts as they keep the moisture in the meat better.

You can have the "best recipe" and overcook the meat. The recipes are really just spice variations of either frying/grilling, stewing, or slow cook roasting. The spices I like may not be the same ones you like. I happen to like the taste of wild game and don't try to mask it with heavy spices. I typically add onion, garlic, shallots, salt, and pepper. Other people are using habaneros, jalapenos, chiles, and curry.

Trapper

Share via facebook Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Elk Roast Recipe

Started by hellbilly

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2007, 11:19:17 AM
by cast iron cook
xx
Raisin Cake Recipe

Started by cast iron cook