Author Topic: Cooking and Prepping Salmon Fillets  (Read 304 times)

MTTrapper

• Shooting Star Publications
Cooking and Prepping Salmon Fillets
« on: December 11, 2017, 03:55:35 PM »
I cook a lot of Salmon. A lot. Last summer I cooked Sockeye and Silver Salmon twice a week for 12 weeks straight. I also made Salmon pate and Salmon cakes.

After a few years of experimenting I found the following to please the greatest number of people.

Start out with an aluminum boat. Heavy duty works best or just double up on regular foil. Put it on a 3-sided cookie sheet. You'll just use the cookie sheet to transport that's why the 3-sided.

Remove the skin from the fillet. I use a sharp knife to initially skin it, but then you can carefully just pull on the skin to get it away from the meat.

Remove the pin bones, rib bones (if your fillet technique didn't do it), and any fins you may have missed when filleting. I like these kitchen tweezers because they don't tend to cut or break the pin bones when you pull them out.

Put the fillet on the aluminum boat, brush olive oil, or whatever liquid dressing you use on both sides. (You skin the fillet so you can season both sides.) Season both sides. For this one I did a simple smoked paprika, seasoned pepper and Kosher salt.

Slide the fillet and boat onto the grill. Close the lid. Don't over cook it. Typically at about 350-400 a typical Sockeye fillet will be done in 5-6 minutes. Keep in mind the thickness of the fillet and the temperature will determine whether it's done. On Sockeye, when you see tiny bits of oil coming to the surface it's done.

To remove it from the grill, slide the 3-sided cookie sheet under the foil boat.

On this fillet I drizzled a raspberry chutney on it a minute or two before I pulled it off the grill.

Plate it. Pair it with a side of rice and a nice wine and enjoy.

Trapper

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/general-camp-cooks-forum/43/cooking-prepping-salmon-fillets/2843/

Share via facebook Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Salmon Mule Sale

Started by Steve

1 Replies
Last post April 17, 2015, 04:59:45 PM
by 2rocky
xx
weekend salmon finshing the washington coast ( westport )

Started by IrishBastard

9 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 08:26:48 AM
by IrishBastard
xx
Summer Cooking Job

Started by MTTrapper

0 Replies
Last post March 05, 2017, 06:08:07 AM
by MTTrapper
xx
Love cooking