Author Topic: SWAMP CHICKEN  (Read 2037 times)

wvhunter

SWAMP CHICKEN
« on: August 11, 2012, 12:27:32 PM »
Took son bullfrogging, they don't look much like hunting camp food but sure are good.
Just finish cooking some Chukar in the DO. Practing alot before next springs school.

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/general-camp-cooks-forum/43/swamp-chicken/2215/

stone blues

Re: SWAMP CHICKEN
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 10:17:56 AM »
Wvh, seeing that young man with a sack full of frogs reminded me of my younger days.I had a freind i used to frog hunt with and his father n law lived on the bank of the Tallahatchie river in Phillip,Ms. In the spring when the frogs got to coakin real good on the river the would invite us down for a week end of frog hunting on the river. The way we hunted it took 3 people to hunt efficiently. Bill(the father n law)would run the boat motor and control the boat,my friend or me would sit on the middle set of the 14 ft boat and shine a spotlite connected to a 12 volt battery down the bank of the river. we usually took turns shineing the light and catching frogs from the very front of the boat. when a frogs eyes were shined the boat operator headed striaght for the frog while slowing the boat down. when the boat was close enought the man on the front would lay down on the front and reach out and catch the frog with his hands. We would go upstream on one bank for a mile or so and then cross over the downstream side for the return trip. caught a lot of big frogs doing it this way and shared many a good time with good friends....memories that will last a life time. The most frogs we ever caught was 270 frogs that dress out to 40lbs of dressed leg.....yum yum

Thelma

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 11:36:26 AM »
WV, Your son is the cutest swamp creature catcher ever. And so brave. If one of those creatures croaked and jumped out at me in the dead of night I would be well on my way to eternity. We don't exactly have any swamps here at road building camp on the prairie, only waving wheat fields as far as the binoculars can see but, if those toad deals really taste like chicken perhaps he could send some up. We are always looking for innovative ways to trim the food budget (in order to pad the cooks winter vacation in Arizona fund :D) and if we say it is chicken the men believe it is so.

wvhunter

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 09:56:30 AM »
Thelma,  I don't think he could catch enough once your hungry work crew got a taste of them. But he sure would try.

Karl

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 06:21:41 PM »
Them Chukar sure looked good

Share via facebook Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Kona Chicken

Started by royaltine

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 07:19:36 PM
by animules