Author Topic: Spotted Knapweed suggestions  (Read 456 times)

Rt520

Spotted Knapweed suggestions
« on: March 27, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »
Anyone ever deal with trying to eradicate spotted knapweed? I have just under 4 acres and a good deal is covered in this stuff. I started using a shovel to dig it up but its slow going. I'm not really big into using weed killers but starting to think that may be the best option.

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/general-camp-fire-discussion/25/spotted-knapweed-suggestions/2815/

Riley Tuyls

Steve

Re: Spotted Knapweed suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 08:22:39 PM »
I had 17 acres that was lousy with it.  Somebody said that water would help get rid of it.  I put sprinklers on it, but that really didn't do much.  I finally had the field sprayed and that worked.  I've heard that goats like to eat the stuff.  I've got about five acres in pasture now.  I usually have to spray it every year.  I worry about my horses and mules eating that grass.  Everyone says it will pass right through them as long as you don't spray too heavy and wait a week or two before you turn your stock in on it. 

saddlesore

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 03:38:54 PM »
Tordon, but some states you have to be a certified commercial sprayer  to buy it

Rt520

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 05:00:53 PM »
Ill look into the tordon. I've never been a big fan of spraying chemicals on my property. But I may have to make an exception. This stuff is terrible to deal with!

MTTrapper

• Shooting Star Publications
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 06:19:30 AM »
I use Chaparral. You don't need a license for it and it doesn't kill grass. It has other advantages. I found it to kill a wide range of broadleafs.

http://www.dowagro.com/en-us/range/products/chaparral

saddlesore

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 07:21:16 AM »
I tried unsuccessfully for several years to  to control noxious weeds. I found I could not do that, let alone eradicate them.I spray once a year with 2-4-d and then  spot spray with the Tordon.Some of it is labeled Tordon K--22.A friend goes to MO once a year and brings  back some when I need it.
Besides the knapweed, we have Leafy Spurge,and theYellow Toad Flax and it is harder yet to kill.
You might contact your county  Ag agent and get some advise there.

My problem is I bring hay in every year and then spread the manure.So I am essentually spreading weed seeds with it,Even without them manure spreading,the mule would do it naturally when they are turned out

Rt520

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 02:21:04 PM »
I contacted the local weed district and they're coming over to do a free consultation. I found tordon at tractor supply and will probably pick some up after they come over.

We got 2 goats last year and I was hoping they would take care of it. They kind of jump around and snack on a little bit of everything. They've helped some but not enough.

Steve

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 09:02:02 PM »
I picked up a little sprayer that goes behind a four wheeler.  It has a couple of short booms on it.  I've got a lot of good out of it.  I usually spray 2/4/D.  There are some commercial sprayers in the Valley that do a great job.  Last summer I found a new white leafed weed, that was coming up in my alfalfa.  It was really thick and it wouldn't have been smart to make hay out of that area.....There was only a couple acres of it, but it was thick.  I sprayed that area with 2/4/D.   It also killed all the alfalfa.  But it had to be done.  I guess that weed will even kill a horse, if they eat enough of it.  I think I'll have the co/op, spray it again, this spring.  I want to make sure it won't come back....

saddlesore

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 08:12:30 AM »
I have one of those sprayers Steve.Last year I had to kill everything in a spot,  as swamp grass took over then plow and replant

mulepackin

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 02:17:27 PM »
I use Milestone and 24D LoVol on knapweed and have good success. Milestone does not require an applicator license either, as does Tordon.. You have to spray before the plant "bolts" which is, when it starts to develop a stalk. The "rosette" stage is another term. The plants are low to the ground. New seedlings can be controlled with just the 24D, but the mature, regrowth ones require something else. I started to use Dupont Perspective on leafy spurge. The jury is still out, but so far I'm impressed.

Rt520

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 05:00:58 PM »
The lady from the weed district came over and recommended 2-4-d and then spot spray after that.

Steve the weed district does grants and you're able to get money back from them. I think it starts in July, she said you can get reimbursed for commercial spraying, chemicals and equipment you buy as well. Might be something worth looking into.

saddlesore

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 08:05:28 AM »
The lady from the weed district came over and recommended 2-4-d and then spot spray after that.

That is what I do

Share via facebook Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Suggestions.

Started by royaltine

12 Replies
Last post March 12, 2008, 06:37:57 PM
by Beau
xx
Trail Cam Suggestions?

Started by animules