Author Topic: bad egg  (Read 703 times)

bigbill

bad egg
« on: August 05, 2016, 06:10:20 PM »
I need some advise , I've ben saddled with a dink the wife adopted a mustang on color n this is the most phony hard headed sob I've ever seen. a little back ground have two mustang awesome do anything for you great horses one I sold good horse all trained by us this plug started out just standing in the trailer 3 hrs later same spot[ the wife oh look how quit] I couldn't put my finger on it started working with him figured it out he sulls up an wont move fast forword 2 yrs I can ride him have miles on him can do his feet carefuly he's always lookin to hurt you. head butted son with stitches throws a tantrum flops on ground if you make do anything he doesn't want to can lead him but won't pony locks up wont move try circling works 1 or twice then throws himself 0n the ground eyes roll back an just lay there . cant trust to ride wont pony to pack cant sell / give away never ben abused/spoiled he don't get away with crap this one is bad enough I owe it to society to not give away unless it's obamma. how would you work with this guy to atleast use as a pack horse an hope he falls off of a cliff any suggestions / calibers / point of impact would be appreciated

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/general-horse-mule-forum/42/bad-egg/2794/

saddlesore

Re: bad egg
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 12:42:20 PM »
Sounds like there is something physically wrong with him about that flopping on the ground.
If he won't  pony I'd put a stout rope halter on him. Run a lariat around his neck and tie with a  no slip bowline Run it thru the loop in the rope halter. Get a good stout horse  and stout saddle. Dally him up and drag drag him.If he flops on the ground,drag him that way. It might be best to dally him between to horses so he can't get at either one

If he is always looking for a ways to hurt you, he eventually will.Now that I am regarded as  senior citizen,I learned a long time ago that these types ,you don't mess with.He already hurt your son and more will come. Good for you about not sending it down the road for some one else to get hurt.
Next step is dig a hole and plant him.You can't save them all. With this entire horse rescue thing, people need to know when it is time to  cut their losses..

I think this way because I have been hurt in the past from these type of jugheads  and the last time laid me up for about 6 months

bigbill

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 05:59:36 PM »
thanks saddlesore   ill give that a try . he's not in any physical pain just mental wires crossed the horse is healthy just psycho . run, moves ,eats, does fine then goes nuts . one example is standing on highline with nose bag eating grain 30-45 min every other horse just eating he blowes up tears high line down flips over causes all kind grief probably had ben fed 12 or so times this way with other stock getting ready for trips then just blowes up doesn't care if he's eating ,hurting himself or others . I keep thinking ill get to him just don't seam to make any head way or just my pride an love for the equine

saddlesore

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 07:57:05 PM »
Any possibility that he ate locoweed in his past before you got him. Seeing  it is mustang that was running wild and food got scarce, ,that maybe be the case. This is a classic reaction.That poison forms nodules along  an artery that runs along their chest. At times those nodules break loose and then travel to the brain. Mostly that happen when they get worked up sweaty  or excited.

There isn't a clue given when it happens, but there is no cure either. Typically there is no communicating with the horse.
Might not be the problem, but a possibility.

I know what you mean about pride and loving the horse. I bred and raised a nice haflinger mule. I had it 12 years and just had this nagging thought that some day  she would hurt me bad. I had a runaway and I had to bale off because we were at a dead run entering into a thick grove of aspen that I couldn't possibly survive.  I ended up in the ER with a few broken ribs, concussion, and bruised internal organs,spleen,kidneys and such.. I was 70 at the time and didn't heal quick. She is on a pack string now  and no one rides her.

I had sold a guy a good thorobred mule. Gentle as could be. He turned it  out on 80 acres infested with loco weed. In 6 months he called me and told me the mule tried to kill him every time he went in to the stall. He wanted me to buy it back. I went down, got the mule out, saddled it, and led it out a ways from the barn to a soft area and climbed on.It just stood there. I clucked to it and touched it with my heels and it blew up.

On the third jump,I shucked my stirrups and kept going up in the air as it went down. I came down and looked over .It's feet were 4 ft off the ground.It was squealing, bellowing, braying, going crazy. It did that a  minute or so, then froze up. Stood there and then went off running out into the pasture and repeated the whole thing again.

I waited a bit and then went out and caught it up. I was able to lead it back in. On the way, I saw all the loco weed. I picked a bunch,and took it back in. I told the guy  to take it to the Ag  Extension Office and have them tell him what it was.Then take it to a vet and ask them what it did to a horse or mule.I told him if that wasn't the cause, I would buy the mule back. I never heard from him again,but heard the mule went  to an auction.

bigbill

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 10:31:20 AM »
how long does this stay in the system ? ive had him over 2 yrs now in a corral being fed hay sure sounds like that could be 1 explanation they will eat anything to survive

saddlesore

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 01:51:53 PM »
As far as I know, it takes a long time to clear. Further research I did today says it accumulates in the cells,not in the arteries and nodules as I was told.
I have heard that after a while  and being fed good hay it isn't as bad, but not curable.Don't know if that is true or not. The more that was in their system the longer it takes and the worse  their symptoms. I have only encountered it twice  so my experience isn't all that great. Any vet should have info on it or somewhere on the internet.

Steve

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 09:13:46 PM »
It's too bad there isn't a canner market any more.   I hate to see a horse go to waste, but the best thing to do might be to shoot it and then get a back hoe to bury it. 

I haven't heard of loco weed in Montana.  Maybe it's here, but I've never heard of it this far north. I'd talk with a Vet.

I've seen horses with problems, but this horse seems too dangerous to mess with.  I usually sell a horse as a last resort, but I wouldn't waste any more time on that one.  It's just got too many issues.  Maybe there is a horse whisperer out there who could fix this horse, but I don't think you could ever trust it.

I'd have my friend Butch take him off your hands for you, if you lived closer.  He likes horse meat.  He even has a little butcher shop.  I haven't heard of him eating horse meat lately, but I know he has in the past.

I bought a four year old mare once that was more or less a mustang.  He had been running wild on the range of Eastern Montana.  I raised a nice colt out of it.  It turned out just fine.  But that mare was just too big of a project for me to ever think of riding.  I sold it to a lady who wanted a horse for a pet.  I'm sure that nobody ever broke it.

I raised and broke all my horses and mules from colts.  I'm not willing to try that with an older horse that has never been worked with.  It just seems like too big of a project.  There's lots better cowboys out there than me, but that's just how I look at it.

Phil Luman is one of the best hand I know.  He's won about 50 saddles in his rodeo career.  He was with me, when I bought that wild mare.  He bought a gelding out of the same herd.  It was only about three.  Phil ended up selling that horse at a sale.  It just needed too much work.   Phil and I aren't spring chickens any more.  It's no fun getting hurt.  Some things are just too much of a challenge.

Turnagain

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 11:39:39 PM »
Up here in BC we've got a 12 month NBL wolf season.
It wouldn't take long to find a pony like that a job he was suited for!  ;)

Desert Rat

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 02:57:22 PM »
Bill I hate to say it and hope I'm wrong but that animal sounds like he has been locod at some time or another. I have seen several like this. They can be just fine and then they go off the deep end. If he were mine I believe I would find him a new home. My wife also has a mustang and is the sweetest mannerd critter there is.
http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/M13/Lonnie_011

American By Birth, Rebel By The Grace Of God

bigbill

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 07:50:30 PM »
 well after a long summer i loaded ol grey dink up hauled him up the mountain put about 50 miles on him making a big circle he did ok had good days had bad days . high line ,feed bags, hobbles, just used him as pack horse will never trust him 100% . the worst he did was stall up , sets his feet leans back an you can't pull with a semi partner slaps him on the ass he moves out but always in crappy places creek crosses,stairs ,rocks don't know how too proceed on getting him over that but time will tell . i'm just using a rope halter would a different type of halter be better ? anyway it was fun getting away this weekend ,actually the bastard gained a few points this trip lol

saddlesore

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 09:08:10 PM »
You might try a war bonnet or see how Steve Edwards works that come a long hitch of his.

Personally I would give him a job of inspecting the inside of dog food cans.Too many good horses and mules out there to mess with one that will eventually hurt you and that one will

Share via facebook Share via twitter