Author Topic: Need advise on first horses  (Read 471 times)

Rt520

Need advise on first horses
« on: March 27, 2017, 10:52:26 AM »
I'm going to be hopefully purchasing my first horses here soon! I don't have a ton of experience with them most of it came from going to Royal Tine in '06 I had done some riding prior too and since but not a ton. My plan is to start with two and possibly adding one or two more later. My primary use will be trail riding and packing for hunting and camping.

Here's where I could use your years of wisdom. My first plan was to buy some that were 9-14 years old broke with good experience. After seeing the average cost of them ranging from $4000-up, I'm starting to think that maybe I should look into buying something younger. Get some that still need work and finding a reputable trainer to send them to for a little while. It seems like that would be a more cost effective way to go, also I will have younger horses and more time with them?

Being that I don't have a ton of experience I would like to end up with something that I won't have to many issues with on trails. I also don't want to spend all my time right off the bat trying to learn how to train them myself. 

Any suggestions for me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Riley

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/general-horse-mule-forum/42/need-advise-first-horses/2816/

Riley Tuyls

ranchdoc

Re: Need advise on first horses
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 07:10:51 PM »
I would spend some money to get a good-minded sound riding horse to start.... lots cheaper than a hospital bill and paying a trainer for 60 or 90 days is going to burn up what you "saved" buying a younger horse. You might consider getting one solid riding-animal and a younger, cheaper? horse to use mainly as a pack animal for a season or two and see if it has the proper wit to be a riding mountain-horse. Keep looking, the best time to buy one is usually going into winter but there are lots of horses/mules out there so you might find a better deal.....don't be in a hurry!

Rt520

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 07:29:24 PM »
Thanks. That sounds like a good idea. I want to enjoy the process as well as the end results so taking my time and finding the right horses is top priority.

Steve

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 08:37:36 PM »
Disposition of a horse or mule is everything.  Look for that even in a colt.  Keep looking, Riley.  You might find a good deal out there.  Have somebody with experience help you pick one out.

Years ago, I was not making much money, but my daughter wanted a horse bad.  We bought a weaning colt.  I know that isn't what you are supposed to do, but the price was right.  We kept it in the back yard.  I think that was against the rules for the town we lived in, but it was a small town in Eastern Montana, and nobody complained.  That colt spent most of his time playing with our Black Lab.  They'd even sleep together on the ground, at times.  When the dog would fetch a stick, the colt would run around with the dog.  My daughter had that colt tamed down in no time.  When it was two, we put a saddle on it, and it didn't do much.  Before long my daughter was riding it all over town.  Since we only had one horse, I'd follow in our car.

The thing that colt had going for it, was the right disposition.  Things worked out great, and nobody got hurt.  I wouldn't try the same thing on some colt that is high strung.  Horses are dangerous, and a young one can hurt you quick.

I raised all my horses and mules from colts.  Yep, I've been bucked off of some of them, and had a run away or three.  At my age, I just can't risk that.   I had a guy ride one of my colts for thirty days.  It wasn't money well spent, because the guy was a greenhorn.  You want to find the right guy to do that.  Some of them charge big bucks.  I've been around horses all my life, but I learned a lot, just watching RFD TV on the boob tube.

I would advise you to have a smaller corral, that is well built, to start riding a green horse in.  Run-aways are no fun.  I think there are some horse people up Dry Gulch, that might give you a hand with all this.  Give me a call, and I can give you my two cents worth of advice.....An older horse would be smart to buy, if you can find a good one.

One of the horses we raised from a colt is now about 25.  He's stiff and sore, and I don't think I can trust him anymore.  So, if you hear of an extra good horse let me know.   I'm looking for another one too..... I should sell that old horse.  I heard they still have a canner market in Canada.  I couldn't do that, though.  That old horse is part of the family.....

saddlesore

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 08:32:39 AM »
Ranchdoc was spot on.Check the cost  of one visit to the ER.Bad things can happen and they happen fast.With horses or mules,it isn't if you will get hurt ,it is when.Sooner or later it happens. NO sense in adding to the probability.
In fact, I would scrap your idea of the age bracket and look for a good horse 15+ years old that is sound and BTDT.You will get 10 years out of it and by then have enough knowledge  to handle a younger one.
I bred / raised/trained quite a few mule colts in my younger days,but the  two I have now, I bought a few years back 15 and 18 years old.I'm just too old and gimped up to start young ones anymore. I don't relish the thought of getting my head augered intonthe dirt anynmore
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:43:52 AM by saddlesore »

Rt520

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 07:44:10 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. This is all pretty new to me and so many options out there. It's easy to get pulled in different directions!

mulepackin

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 02:09:28 PM »
I often suggest to first time buyers to go to a sale. Not to buy, just to look. You will start to get a sense of what is out there. Don't just look in the ring, look while they are in the pens waiting to go through. If possible, go with someone that knows what to look for and at. If allowed, and it should be, handle the animals, hooves, ears, mouth, etc. But resist the urge to buy.

Mule Guy

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 12:15:43 PM »
Spend some time on line looking too, here in Oregon we have meat buyers that buy at auctions them try to sell them before market. A lot of the time they have hands work with them and get a good idea of what there like they'll let you handle them most of them are fairly cheap, they wouldn't win in a pony show but they could make a good saddle or packin horse. A few years back we were getting horses for free. We have a whole barn full of them free ones and the ones we didn't like we gave away or traded for other horses never spent more than a few bucks on any until we thought they were the right one. But I do have a great mule that I stole for $1200 she packs, rides, and can win in the show ring lol.

Rt520

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »
How much of a pain is it buying a horse and in a different state? I live in Montana but have seen a couple good deals in Idaho and Washington.

mulepackin

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 08:23:10 AM »
Other than the transportation issue, buying a horse out of state requires a few additional things. In addition to the brand inspection which you need anyway, you also have to have proof of a current Coggins test and Health certificate. The cost of these things need to be negotiated between you and the seller. If you don't have them when you go to get your new brand inspection in state you could be subject to a fine, and your brand inspector will require you to obtain them from your own vet. I believe "current" means within 30 days, but check with your area inspector to be sure. I also ask for a receipt from the seller as well as the brand inspection.

Rt520

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 04:49:50 PM »
Well 2 weeks ago I went to look at a horse I was interested in on Craigslist. It was a 12 year old gelding with experience packing and I was told broke for anyone to ride asking $3500. Long story short the horse bucked me off and I ended up with a concussion, spent the afternoon in the ER and had to get Ct scans done. I have no memory from anything that day. I'm doing well now and will continue my search in a few more weeks... also no I didn't buy that horse  ;D

saddlesore

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 03:15:40 PM »
Yep Sorry for the injury. Stay away from Craigslist.

Steve

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 03:33:58 PM »
My daughter has a high strung horse that we should have gotten rid of a long time ago.  He's only been ridden a few times in three years.  He ended up running off with my daughter, and threw her off hard.  I took her to the ER right after.  She was having some vision problems.  She ended up with a mild concussion.

I'd sure like to get rid of that horse, but my daughter is still in love with him.  I'm wondering what kind of bit to use on that horse.  I have a twisted wire snaffle on him now.  The horse has had a lot of bad experiences over the years and has trust issues.  It's going to take more than a severe bit to fix him.  When he was a colt he ran through a coral and landed on my leg.  Another time he ran off with me and I couldn't turn him even though I was pulling on one reign with both arms.  He hits the ground so hard that it's hard to stay in the saddle.  I'd like to make dog food out of him, but my daughter won't have it.....I'm going to start from square 1 with him in the round pen.  He needs a lot of miles put on him.  I wonder if you can ever trust a horse like that.  It will take a lot of time that I don't have.  Three years ago i had him working fairly well.  But my daughter had him in Eastern Montana since then.  I'm getting too old to be riding wild horses.  Pushing 70 is no fun!

Steve

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »
Those concussions will catch up with you.  I've hit my head so many times that i'm starting to have memory problems.  I used to think that anyone who wore a riding helmet was a sissy.  I'm starting to rethink all of that.  My wife wears one.  She always was a lot smarter than I am....

saddlesore

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 06:49:13 AM »
Steve.I would not mes with a horse like that. At our age,it isn't worth it. I had a mule I had bred, raised, trained  ,but she was always flighty.I rode her for twelve years and we got a lot done.I always had the feeling though that she was going to hurt me.

A few years ago, I had to put her stable mate down. She wasn't particularly buddy sour, but after that, she completely changed. She would go out where I buried that other mule and just stand there.She lost all self confidence and would try to buddy up with any four legged creature.On the last hunting trip I used her,she got all worked up trying to stay with a rental horse.She took off with me and started  into  a dense grove of aspen. I baled off as I knew I could not survive in those thick trees with her running full bore.

Well I almost didn't survive. I ended up in  a little local hospital with broken ribs, concussion and bruise internal organs( what ever that means). I was laid up for about 6 months.
That mule is now on pack string and does real well in that environment, but I would never trust her to be a saddle mule.

You need to sit down with your daughter and have a real talk with her about that horse. You don't want to lose your daughter because of  a stupid jug head.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 10:09:04 AM by saddlesore »

Share via facebook Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Picket lines for horses - tips for picketing horses

Started by royaltine

13 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 05:33:22 AM
by Sonia
xx
Dutch oven advise??

Started by KILLERBEE