Author Topic: Back to the Bob 2014  (Read 3844 times)

anaconda pintler

Back to the Bob 2014
« on: October 09, 2014, 06:40:24 PM »
Well after my experience in the Bob Marshall last year we decided to go back to the same area again this fall.  The difference laid in the weather is was the hottest elk hunt I. an remember with the highs in the high 80's and even 90 degrees making things miserable and quite frankly hunting hard!  We actually did a lot of fly fishing and it didn't disappoint by no means, the grizzlies were thick again this year in this particular drainage making things seldom boring!!  We had a strike if bad luck when 3 of our 12 horses disappeared on day 4 never to be found while we were in there, we tired horse after horse looking for them more in that later.  On tues the same day horses were last seen I hiked out of camp with a friend and found a bull bugling he was in some dark timber on a bench and we were above him hoping he would step out, my buddy whispered to me to look down the other direction and there was a legal 5 point bull coming in quiet, I told him to shoot him but he could never get a shot angle he was happy with,, at last I had a shot and the 300 H&H belched and the bull hit the ground and rolled clean to the bottom, the opposite way we needed him to go so we got to him and quartered him and packed the meat to the top cuz there wAs no way to get packhorses anywhere near it where he laid.  We hiked back to camp and packed the horses as close as we could that afternoon to get it back to the meat pole at camp!  The next day we opted to pack him out cuz of the weather plus we were short on pack animals so we left 3 guys in cMp and Chad and I hit the trail thinking maybe the horses were at the trailhead,  we got the 20 some miles out and no luck the horses were nowhere to be seen, the next morning we packed back in and fit things ready to break down camp the following day and head out for good!  Friday morning we packed up and again headed out without the 3 horses!  We made the trailers and left a sign at the trailhead with info in the horses and drive to Helena to spend the night to await my flight home. The next morning the phone rang and a man said the 3 were standing at the trailhead       Doh!!!!!  Had to go back to get them but all in all we had a good trip Abby was able to agin bring home some meat!  Can't wait until next fall and hopefully the weather and our luck will be better!!

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/general-hunting-forum/11/back-bob-2014/2671/

anaconda pintler

Re: Back to the Bob 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 06:43:55 PM »
Tried to post pics but it keeps telling me there is an error and the file is to big.   ?

Kelly Barger

• Ok Harlan Horses
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 06:54:03 AM »
Glad you found the horses.
It told me the file was too big also a while back. I think you can post one at a time somehow or resize them.  Free Online Picture Resizer - Crop and Resize photos, images, or pictures online for FREE! is the place I did it. It's free and pretty easy.

Steve

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 07:55:20 PM »
Congratulations!  Glad you found your horses....

royaltine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 08:33:41 AM »
Sounds like kind of a rough trip man......at least ya got the ponies back.  Those things are sure sometimes a hassel.  You know what the old timers say....."better to count ribs than to count tracks....."  I agree with that one.....lol
If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough!

MN Ryder

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 03:19:36 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experience & congrats on the bull.  Would like a little more info, how far was the shot & were the horses that ran off free ranging, tied, or hobbled?  Thanks, looking forward to pictures, always like the Bob.
Henry

anaconda pintler

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 03:31:58 AM »
I was shooting a Remington 721 in the 300 H&H with a 190 grain Berger VLD the shot was nearly straight down thru a burn at about 175 yds, he offered me a neck shot which I took dropping him in his tracks,  as far as the horses no we turn a few loose at a time to free graze and they just wandered off! Only way we tie is on a highline equipped with bells in case of something gettin tangled or something sneaking in camp they make a good alarm system!

anaconda pintler

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 03:53:36 AM »
Still having trouble with the pics.

anaconda pintler

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 03:57:55 AM »
Got it! I'm some dumb but I do have a smart phone!

Nokota

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 02:25:35 AM »
Great pics, great country.  I especially like the middle pic with the pack horse and the mountains.

KILLERBEE

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 11:10:46 PM »
Very cool! I'm super jealous ! Nice bull for the freezer.
OLD HUNTERS NEVER DIE- THEY JUST HAVE BETTER CAMO.....

Kelly Barger

• Ok Harlan Horses
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 08:28:36 AM »
Nice job AP!
Looks beautiful.

MN Ryder

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 05:26:28 AM »
Real nice pictures, great memories for you, thanks for posting.  We are selective about what animals are let off to graze on their own.  Since there's only 2 of us & 4 of them, it's an easy choice to not let the leaders graze together & have the opportunity to wander.  This has worked so far, but you can never be 100% sure.

Kelly Barger

• Ok Harlan Horses
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 06:46:29 PM »
When my son and I went packing this summer we free grazed our mules with no trouble at all. This elk season, we grazed three of the most dependable, gentle mules I have in the little meadow we were camped in and I'll be ****ed if they don't take off and we have to go catch them !  I couldn't believe it. They didn't get off any more that trip.  ;)

Share via facebook Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
2014 Elk Hunt

Started by Kelly Barger

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2014, 08:23:23 AM
by Kelly Barger
xx
2014 Guide School

Started by Costonj

5 Replies