Author Topic: Got a New Mexico Tag for Elk  (Read 1483 times)

2rocky

Got a New Mexico Tag for Elk
« on: April 28, 2016, 01:00:46 PM »
 8)

Drew Valle Vidal Any legal weapon....Oct 15-19.

Definately taking horses for the season, not sure about the Summer scout.  might just fly into ABQ, Rent a car and drive the area, and hike some ridges. 

Any of you who have had boots on the ground there, I'd sure appreciate any guidance. 

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/general-hunting-forum/11/got-new-mexico-tag-elk/2783/

ranchdoc

Re: Got a New Mexico Tag for Elk
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 11:57:09 AM »
I know it pretty well, used to guide there. Get a map and we can talk.
We will be there this summer a few times riding and scouting, a friend of mine drew the archery tag.

saddlesore

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 10:34:34 AM »
Congrats. I bet that was  a hard tag to draw.  BTW. Did you buy those two mules?

2rocky

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 05:14:12 PM »
Life got complicated last few months and I've been away. 

Split the Sheets with my wife of 20 years, and that has been a distraction from the real important stuff like elk hunting.    I went to th Valle Vidal in August for 4 days to scout.

While I was there I met a local Outfitter who offered me a discounted rate for the use of his stock if I did my own camp.  So I set up at the end of the road and rode in with him each morning for 3 days.  It simplified my life not having to haul my own stock. 

First Day we saw 7 bulls.  Had a 6 point in my crosshairs that would have been dead in Wyoming, as well as his 5 point buddy in the evening.    Next day we had a lot of close calls, and a rag horn bedded 50 yards from us before the thermals made him nervously trot off.  That night at last light, I rushed a shot and missed a big 6 point right on the edge of some private.  I was extremely mad at myself, and completely wiped out on the 8 mile ride back over the mountain to camp under the full moon. 

The next morning we played cat and mouse with a bull coming up the draw.  After so many encounters with bulls, and the miss the night before, and the Day 3 of a 5 day season hanging over me, and the soreness and sleep deprivation telling me to get it over with...I pulled the trigger as he stood on the open hillside 150 yards away and bugled like a dunghill rooster. 

It wasn't the bull I'd been dreaming of putting my once in a lifetime tag on.  I'd passed on a bigger bull and missed a bigger one as well.  But I had a clean shot and one round through the shoulder quartering to had him down just inside the trees.  He took out some standing dead trees in the process of dyin' too. 

For three days we had been pulling pack horses in case we connected and I was grateful we could ride to the carcass, and pack him out that morning. 

I loved the country and I can't wait to get my family to draw the tag so we can go back.  Northern New Mexico is magical.  I may just go back to ride in the summer.

This is elk #10 and State #4 of my 11 state Elk Quest.  (OR-1, WY-7, CA-1, NM-1)

Back home, he is one of the tastiest elk I've ever killed.  I had the hams made into roasts and they have been fall apart delicious. 

saddlesore

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 09:50:59 AM »
Are those mules being packed. I always drag my pack mule with me every day that I hunt elk

Congrats. Know what you mean about wanting to just get it over with.

I drew  a once in a life time tag after 21 years of draws in NW CO. Five days of not seeing any quality bulls ,I decided to kill the next 6x I saw. Luck was with me though.The next morning I killed a 7x8.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 04:09:41 PM by saddlesore »

Nokota

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 12:14:00 PM »
Great story, Great pics and great elk!!!!  Thanks for posting!!
Sorry about the split.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
New Mexico Hello

Started by zia

13 Replies
Last post March 29, 2007, 04:37:54 PM
by BamaBuck
xx
Hello from New Mexico

Started by Farleydog

2 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 10:14:51 AM
by royaltine
xx
GREEDY STATE OF NEW MEXICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by KILLERBEE

0 Replies
Last post June 20, 2007, 04:46:34 PM
by KILLERBEE