Author Topic: Montana Moose Adventure  (Read 4747 times)

Rt520

Montana Moose Adventure
« on: August 16, 2015, 05:02:01 PM »
I spent a few days scouting this past week in my moose unit. I got a couple good leads on areas to check out and was able to located a cow. I'll be heading back over in the beginning of September to do a little more scouting. There will be 7 bull hunters and 6 cow hunters to compete with, but the unit is very large. I'm looking for swamps and lakes away from roads and trails to hunt. I would image a few of the hunters will be road hunting only.   

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/general-hunting-forum/11/montana-moose-adventure/2756/

Riley Tuyls

Kelly Barger

• Ok Harlan Horses
Re: Montana Moose Adventure
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 07:28:07 PM »
I could not get the pics to open.

Rt520

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 12:11:04 PM »
Are they showing up, now?

Kelly Barger

• Ok Harlan Horses
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:34:23 PM »
Yes they are. That's awfully pretty country. Good luck.

Rt520

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 01:40:33 PM »
After four days of hunting I was lucking enough to harvest a 39 3/8" bull!

The night before I took him I had stalked to within 15 yards but swirling winds sent him running down the mountain into a thick willow patch.

The next morning I hiked up an old logging road that over looked the willows and started glassing. I was able to locate three cows and could hear them talking with the bull. The cows made there way out of the willows towards me, pulling the bull out of the cover.

I had him broadside 5 times but wasn't able to get a shot(twice my nerves got the best of me and I couldn't get a solid rest, the other 3 times there was a branch or two  covering part of the vitals.) After an hour he slipped back into the willows and I thought I missed another opportunity on him.

A few minutes later a smaller bull started to move in and was raking some willows near the cows. The bull I was after came back out and was standing broadside at 250 yards. This time I got a solid rest and squeezed off a round. He ran about 15 feet and stopped. I got another round chambered and got on him again; but before I shot he tipped over.

I hurried back to my truck and drove out of the drainage and called my buddy who lived near by. Him and his son came up and helped me bone it out and pack it 300 yards to the trucks. We ended up with 4 1/2 game bags filled with meat I and one heavy cape and antlers to fight through the willow patch!

Kelly Barger

• Ok Harlan Horses
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 06:22:34 AM »
Man that's awesome. I would love to hunt a moose some time. I would like to do it on horses in Canada. Lots of $$$ though.

2rocky

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 09:40:54 AM »
That's a load you are packin' there.  Well Done. 

The old timers tell me a Shiras moose is a 3 horse pack out.  Shoulders, Hams, and Ribs.  But they were ax splitting the back bone. 

If you do a Gutless Quarter, What would the Loin and Rib meat add up to in weight? 

Rt520

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 02:41:26 PM »
We de-boned it all and ended up with 4 1/2 game bags filled with meat. We weighed the heaviest bag when we got to the house and it was 85 lbs. The full bags broke down to 1 hide quarter in a bag. Then the front quarters, rib meat, and neck meat in 2 bags. The half bag was back straps, loins, and some misc scraps. The half bag probably weighed 30 or so lbs I would guess. I did loose some of the meat on one of the front quarter from the impact of the bullet.

Nokota

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 04:58:51 PM »
Great hunt!!!  congrats.  great pics as well!!!

KILLERBEE

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 07:35:01 PM »
That is great!  Moose meat is the best meat I've ever had! I'm super
Jelous!
OLD HUNTERS NEVER DIE- THEY JUST HAVE BETTER CAMO.....

Steve

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 07:54:42 PM »
Riley,
I want to thank you again for those packages of moose meat.  I just finished a plate full of the pounded cube steaks with fried potatoes and onions.  Man oh man that's delicious meat!  I had a hard time leaving any for the wife to eat.....

Rt520

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 04:26:24 PM »
Riley,
I want to thank you again for those packages of moose meat.  I just finished a plate full of the pounded cube steaks with fried potatoes and onions.  Man oh man that's delicious meat!  I had a hard time leaving any for the wife to eat.....

Glad you enjoyed it!

saddlesore

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 11:29:42 AM »
That was quite a hunt and  a great bull.

Hope I do half as well next weekend.

After 17 years of applying, I figured the Colorado CPW wasn't going to ever give me a bull tag and I am fast approaching the age when I won't be able to hunt in a year or two.

So I applied for cow moose tag on the only Ranching for Wildlife hunt in Colorado that offers moose tags. I was fortunate to draw one of the two cow moose tags given out. There was also  another youth cow tag.   I had less than 2% chance to draw it.

The other reason I applied for this hunt is they bring an ATV or tractor into haul your moose out, which is something I am not capable any more of packing it on my back.

Congrats to you on a great hunt

Rt520

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2015, 05:12:26 AM »
Best of luck to you on your hunt! Hopefully we'll see some pictures of your moose soon!

Steve

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 01:26:43 PM »
Saddle Sore,
I was down in your neck of the woods, about a month back.  We spent a night at Estes Park.  Super beautiful country, and tons of elk.  We saw two 400 class bulls fighting out in a meadow.  Bulls were bugling all over.  There was also a ton of people, but it was worth the trip.

I likes the look of that Colorado country.  Aspens all over.  Cool looking mountains in all directions.
It would be a great place to shoot a moose.  I think if I shot one, I'd get the hide tanned.....I've always liked the look of them.....

Share via facebook Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Living the adventure in Jim Bridger

Started by pastallion

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 06:32:18 AM
by animules
xx
moose tag

Started by moonlitbugle

3 Replies