Author Topic: stock trailer  (Read 1975 times)

bigbill

stock trailer
« on: October 23, 2016, 01:53:10 PM »
 iv'e been wondering what size of trailers do you run . i have a three horse gooseneck slant with tack removing  dividers allows 4 horses pulls great in mountains just cant haul enough for the trips i want to take . i know there's a trade off of to small or to big to pull in mountains whats your favorite size  ? i've had 16' tongue pull stock now the 3 horse goose  love pulling goose over tongue

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/horse-mule-packers-forum/23/stock-trailer/2803/

mulepackin

Re: stock trailer
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 07:16:29 AM »
20 Ft. Titan stock trailer with brush fenders. I can get 7 head in tight as long as none are draft mules. You are right, everything is a trade off.

bigbill

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 09:56:59 PM »
thanks I've ben thinking 20' would be about right i cant imagine having more than six go with me . if i need more than that i need to get better friends with there own stock lol.

LAP

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 10:54:26 AM »
I have an 7x18' Diamond D gooseneck stock trailer with a front tack room.  I regularly haul 5 and 6 will fit without too much trouble.
20' long is about as long as I would go in the country that I frequent and there are some places I just can't get with a gooseneck trailer.

bigbill

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 08:04:01 PM »
thanks kinda what i was thinking pretty curvy where i go an ben in idaho some places pretty tight an rough

Spade Creek

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 04:48:56 PM »
I run a 20' stock trailer with 4' tack room.  We haul 6 max in ours because 3 of ours are draft crosses.  Oh, by the way your last one better be a good loader.

Steve

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 11:29:14 AM »
I've got a four horse stock trailer.  You can get five in it, easy enough.  That goose neck sure turns fast.  I've got the fenders on both sides, dinged up.  I need to watch my mirrors closer.  When I was a kid, everyone used stock trucks.  You don't see many of them now.

Rt520

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 12:42:49 PM »
What width trailer do you guys prefer to use?
Riley Tuyls

saddlesore

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 03:06:14 PM »
Most are 6 ft wide inside.By the time you get fenders on and such ,you about 7'-6". You don't want anything over 8' total.

The 6' inside has served me well for several trailers I  have had, gooseneck or tongue pull. If you are not putting a slide in camper on your truck or intend to, go with the goose neck.You will be a lot happier

If you do have a camper, and are pulling a horse trailer, unless it is a 1T ,you will need a load leveler like a Reese or air bags.

Rt520

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 10:10:20 AM »
A friend of a friend offered to sell me this trailer for $1500. Just wondering what you guys think. It's 6x20 trailmaster steel trailer he said he had 1500 into it and would so he just wants his money back out of it.

The good: New floor, tires, rims, bearings, and new spare.

The bad: It was next to a barn fire and the paint on one side is flaked off. It didn't have a floor in it at the time of the fire, the person he got it from was working on it at the time.  He said he went through it and its structural sound and hes used it a lot since then. I looked it over pretty well and don't see any signs of damage to anything other than the paint.

Thanks

The first two pictures are of the side exposed to the fire.

saddlesore

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 08:19:19 AM »
If you do decide on it, First thing I would do is completely rewire it.That saves a lot of heartache in the future.  Nothing will cause you to want to pull your hair out than old wiring that causes problem sintermitently.Cost about $100.

The next thing I would do is brakes. buy the entire backing plate  with new shoes, and magnets.Again, a heartache stopper for the future. cast about $250.

Those two things will cause you the most grief in and older trailer.

Instead of the new spare,I would worry more about the tires on it. Get on the internet and find out how to tell how old the tire is. There is a code on the tire to tell you month and year the tire was made. Good tread is a not an indicator of age. If they are 10 years plus,figure you will have to replace all four  fairly soon. Cost about $350.

Do you have a brake controller on your present truck?

Just somethings I have encountered over the years.

Rt520

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 01:13:17 PM »
My truck does have trailer brake control. It's also equipped with airbags with onboard air that can be adjusted inside the cab. It's a pretty slick set up.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to put those things at the top of the list!

mulepackin

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 12:08:22 PM »
Along with brakes and wiring, I'd take care of the wheel bearings. Who knows when or if they've been serviced. Then ensure the floor is solid.

saddlesore

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »
Op said all these were new.I din' t catch the tires either

he good: New floor, tires, rims, bearings, and new spare

mulepackin

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2017, 10:09:22 AM »
So he did.  I shall consider myself duly rebuked.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
LQ trailer & horse for sale

Started by Buffalo

0 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 01:51:45 PM
by Buffalo
xx
Trail Ride Trailer Dilemma

Started by 2rocky

5 Replies