Author Topic: Hello from British Columbia  (Read 2994 times)

Turnagain

Hello from British Columbia
« on: February 22, 2014, 09:46:40 PM »
  Hello, my name is Mike. I run a cow ranch in central BC and a hunting operation in the north west part of the province. We run a fly in, horse back outfit, hunting for Stone sheep, moose, caribou, goats and grizzlies.( Wolf tag given to every hunter on the house)
  I've enjoyed looking at this site and reading how other outfitters/packers run their shows. Be glad to get in on some of the conversations.

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/introductions/27/hello-british-columbia/2554/

royaltine

• Administrator
Re: Hello from British Columbia
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 07:40:11 PM »
Welcome Mike.  Wolf tags on the house.......good call!
If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough!

Steve

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 07:49:31 AM »
Good to meet you Mike!  You're living the life that I've always dreamed about. 

The most time that I've ever spent in British Columbia was when the rear end of my pickup went out somewhere in the northern part.  That was back in 1969. Three friends and I had graduated from high school a week earlier, and we were headed to Alaska to make our fortunes.  That rear end was pinging for miles and miles as we drove up the old gravel Alaska Highway.  It finally locked up breaking the U joint. 

My buddy had another pickup and he started pulling me with his pickup and a tow chain.  We went about fifty miles and there was a little gas station, out in the middle of nowhere.  We couldn't believe our good fortune.  If it hadn't been for that little shop, we might have pulled that truck for 500 miles.  I wish I could remember the name of that place.  It later burned down.....  I've since driven past it, but there's not much left of it.

We ordered the parts we needed out of Dawson Creek (if I remember right) and they came in by bus, days later.  Since we were stuck there we did some hiking.  Saw some stone sheep, caribou, and black bear.  We even caught some grayling in a small river.  Some of the most scenic country I've ever been in......

Dog_River

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 09:39:22 AM »
Hello Mike,

I have lurked here for some time and just joined up. There is some good information on here from some like minded folks.

I am just over the mountain from you to the east I bet. Sounds like you have a good life going on. I am into mules and wonder if you have any ? There does not seem to be a lot of mules in this part of the world.  I wonder where your hunting operation is ? I spent some time in the Yukon and knew Chuck and Shane Buchannan. Did you know those guys ?

Dog_River

Turnagain

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 11:59:58 AM »
Hello Dog_River
  Where do you hang your hat? As for mules, no I do not have any. I'm probably not smart enough to get along a mule. That's kind of what I've come up with from the bit of time I've spent around them. The bulk of our horses are Percheron or Clyde crosses, they seem to do the job. Big feet and big bone so they can go day after day under a pack or a hunter. 
  Our hunting area is north of the Stikine River. The headwaters of the Turnagain are pretty much in the middle of the area. 
  Yes I knew the Buchanans. Shane ran a hunting outfit about 120 miles or so west of me as well as the taxidermy shop in Whitehorse. I guided in the Yukon for Tim Mervyn as well as Jensens and that's where we first met. Last summer was a total tragedy for the Buchanan family loosing Shane and his dad in the plane crash and then roughly 3 weeks later the drowning of George Klein, Shane and Hanna's right hand man. All around a pretty rough deal.

Dog_River

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 05:48:51 PM »

I just finished working at the RTA Aluminum smelter in Kitimat. I heard about George but did not know him at all. The whole deal was a huge tragedy. I heard Hanna still has the business going and hope she can make it. I knew Chuck quite well. Heck of a nice guy. I guess you know Wes Philips as well ? I am over just north of Valemount, BC. I have been up and down the Cassier hwy many times. A guy that worked for me hunts somewhere up in that country where you are.

Nice to meet you.

Steve

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 07:44:11 AM »
Do either of you guys know where Kinaskin Lake is?  I may have misspelled it.  You drive by it on the way up the Cassiar highway.  It's a really long lake, full of rainbows.  They seem to always be biting.  We always stop there on the way to Alaska.  Usually we have a canoe.  The last trip I videoed my daughters reeling in fish after fish.  What a blast!  I didn't want to leave....

Turnagain

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 10:17:17 AM »
Kinaskan is good. Morchuea is better. Small lake about  half an hour farther north.

Steve

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 03:14:55 PM »
How about Liard Hot Springs?  It's on the other route to Alaska.  A wonderful place to soak in hot water, for free.  I didn't want to leave that place either.

I guess a black bear killed some people there about ten years back.....

Turnagain

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 05:45:50 PM »
I've been to the Liard communal bath tub. I usually drive the Cassiar side but once in a while have to go down the east side. Not a real great road to drive in the dark with the bunches of Woods Bison that like to bed on the blacktop from the Liard River bridge to Fireside.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WASHINGTON: Plan for Columbia National Wildlife Refuge

Started by Desert Rat

0 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 06:14:22 AM
by Desert Rat