Author Topic: Hello from Germany  (Read 1551 times)

Sanhestar

Hello from Germany
« on: September 15, 2013, 12:27:12 PM »
Hello and thank you for admitting me to this forum.

I've joined to learn more about packing and how to train our horses to be able to pack. I have very specific plans for them which I will gladly write about shortly.

Today it's just a bit too late already and I was away most of the day.

See you later!
Sabine

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/introductions/27/hello-germany/2455/

royaltine

• Administrator
Re: Hello from Germany
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 06:58:14 PM »
Welcome to the board!
If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough!

Sanhestar

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 09:08:27 PM »
so here are the promised details

I'm somewhat over 40 and have ridden/owned horses or better ponies (Iceland, now Highland) since I was 10 years old but had to take a 7 year break a while ago.

We (hubby and I) have started again with Highland ponies about two years ago and now own two mares (8 and 11 years old) and two colts (2 years old). We also have a small brush clearing business (goats) and use some of the goats for packing, also.

Our big plan with the HiPos is that they should help us with the work around the goats, with the heavier loads like water cans and transporting the fences from pasture to pasture to be less dependent on cars and for better access to pastures that are remote.

I attended a horse packing class in August - one could say the only classes offered in Germany (horse packing isn't very well known here) - and since then work on training the ponies and working out how to pack the fences and the water cans (5 gallons), how to lead a packstring (which ended in a wreck last time) and have tons of questions.

Sanhestar

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 04:13:05 AM »
if you like to take a look (and have a good laugh) at my attempts so far, you're welcome

figuring out a way to transport the goat fences. These is a system containing of electrified net and plastic posts which is hell to get in place when it's been tangled up while taking it down or transporting it. Hence the wrapping. The load is somewhat unbalanced because I didn't tie the off side tight enough

Packtraining mit Laudine - Hütenetztransport Teil 1 - YouTube

Two ways I tried how to best transport the water cans. With the hauls-all loading is fast and easy but I need a second person to load the off-side or the saddle slips because of the low loading point.

More effort for me but I'm able to load alone is with a basket hitch. Unfortunately these cans are a bit to wide to fit between the decker rings (they're German Army standard issue). Getting the 40 lbs up on the horse is something I have to work on, as well. On the other hand, once I have down all this packing I won't need a gym any longer  ;)

Transport von Wasserkanistern mit Packpferd - YouTube

Training for a packstring. I have (had) this idea to take both mares out on foot,  both loaded with two water cans each (80 lbs), drop the water and then ride home, ponying the second mare (which knows how to pony). Also used other cans which fit nicely between the decker rings and are less slippery than the army ones. Well, Laudine (the dun mare) had other ideas, threw a fit, bucked off her load and caused a nice, little wreck, mostly on me because I tried to stop them and she ran me over.

Packtraining Packkette/packstring - YouTube

Steve

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 06:40:50 AM »
Welcome to these forums.  This is a great place to learn about packing.  It looks like you already have a good handle on things, but there's always plenty more to learn.  I used to skydive with some German jumpers.  Sometimes we couldn't speak the same language very well, but we found ways to communicate.....

Share via facebook Share via twitter