Author Topic: Howdy!  (Read 2472 times)

mulepackin

Howdy!
« on: August 03, 2013, 10:01:43 PM »
Stumbled upon you searching for something packing related, just not sure what. I'm a 4th generation Montanan, live in central Montana. Raised on a cattle ranch. Horses were mostly work to me as a kid, so all my backcountry travel was backpacking when I was younger. Always kinda knew I'd end up horse and mule packing someday though, and pretty much been doing that for the past 10- 15 years. I try to keep about 3 horses and 2 mules around most of the time, although that number tends to vary. Looking forward to learning more here, and maybe sharing a few things I've picked up too. Thanks for having me along.

Linkback: http://www.royaltine.com/forum/introductions/27/howdy/2429/

royaltine

• Administrator
Re: Howdy!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 04:24:47 AM »
Welcome to the board, dont be shy here.
If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains, you're lucky enough!

flcracker

• much to young to feel this **** old
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 04:43:22 AM »
Welcome to the campfire. You will find that everyone is realy great on this forum.
- Pete -

w-joe

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 12:49:50 PM »
Welcome to the campfire from overseas .
It s true , a lot of good guys round here .

MULEPACKHUNTER

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 09:12:22 AM »
Welcome, I too am new to this sight. So far its like the biggest and best book I have ever read. Great info and discussion.
R.F.P.  RELENTLESS FORWARD PROGRESS

Steve

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 08:15:15 AM »
Good to meet you Mule Packin!  I've learned a lot from these forums.  Where abouts are you from in Central Montana?

mulepackin

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 08:44:37 AM »
Thanks for all the greetings. Steve, I'm originally from Belt, but live and work in Great Falls. Most all of my packing/hunting takes place in the Bob, Little Belts, and if lucky, the Highwoods.

Steve

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 10:02:07 AM »
I'm a second generation Montanian.  Actually my Dad was an Idahoian, from Cascade before moving to Missoula. 

Did you ever know a Jack Mylmaki from Belt.  He loved to hunt and fish.  He ended up as a piano player who lived in Belt.  All his relatives were from Belt.  I'll bet you know some of them.  I went to Alaska with Jack in 69.  We were kids right out of High School.  Jack died about three or four years ago. 

I had a boss from that area.  Her name was knutson.  Her husband farms close to Belt.

I almost won the bareback riding in Stanford one year.  I think that is close to Belt.   It was my first Pro rodeo.  Lingers had the stock.....I was doing great, then ended up spurring over his neck, and bucked off about 8 seconds out.   I won some money at Three Forks, the day before at an MRA show. 

It's a small world.

I'm looking forward to retiring next Spring and spending more time in the Bob.  I haven't been in there for ages.....Right now, my three horses and two mules need work.  They are all too fat.

mulepackin

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 12:09:48 PM »
Knew Jack. He played in a few different bars in the area. His family still has a little acreage on the edge of the highwood mtns. right next to some pasture we used to lease. Probably knew of the Knutson you speak of as well. We've been around here for quite awhile, I'm a fourth gen. My great grandparents homesteaded in the late 1800s. Stanford is about 45 miles East of Belt, you likely rodeoed with guys I know of or grew up with. It is a darn small world. Are you still in Mssla? Get that stock on the trail, little at a time, they will start slimming down. I just finished a 6 day trip to the Chinese Wall, the back to Pretty Prairie. Took 12 friends and family, 22 head of stock. Lot bigger trip, and a LOT more work than I care to do very often. Working vacation, but still great time.

Steve

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 06:44:02 AM »
The Bob Marshal is a wonderful place.  I killed my first elk up above where White River flows into the South Fork.  I was helping a friend who was packing and guiding for Tom and Harold Murphy.  We were camped on Murphy Flats.  I felt like staying in there forever.  I've always wanted to go back.

My Dad used to pack into the South Fork most every summer.  I haven't been in there for a very long time.  I still have a place at Stevensville.  I'm heading back that way come Spring.  Right now I'm in NorthEast Montana working for a school.

Too bad about old Jack.  I think I know what killed him.  He used to fish Rock Creek a lot, near Missoula.  One of the best fishermen I ever met.   I wish I could have made it to his funeral.

Share via facebook Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Howdy

Started by Machias

5 Replies
Last post November 21, 2006, 12:16:22 PM
by Machias
xx
Howdy all!

Started by Hunting Cowboy

3 Replies